R. Carlos Nakai
- Award-winning Native American Flutist
- Navajo and Ute
- Has released more than 50 Albums
- Performs traditional Native flute, new age, world-beat jazz and classical
- 8 Time Grammy Nominee
- Received 1 Gold (500,000 units sold) & 1 Platinum Records (1,000,000 units sold)
- The first American Indian artist to achieve a platinum certification playing Native American music.
Of Navajo-Ute heritage, R. Carlos Nakai is the world's premier performer of the Native American flute. Nakai's first album, Changes, was released by Canyon Records in 1983, and since then he has released over thirty-five albums with Canyon plus additional albums and guest appearances on other labels. Nakai sees himself as iconoclastic traditionalist, viewing his cultural heritage as a source and inspiration, as well as a dynamic continuum of natural change, growth, and adaptation subject to the artist's expressive needs. In addition to playing the flute in its traditional role as a solo instrument, Nakai has also collaborated with top jazz and classical musicians.